Pages

6.08.2013

Just Passing Through

The week before Memorial Day, my mom and dad were heading down to Houston for an appointment at MDA.  They stopped off at our house for the weekend and left for Houston on the following Monday.  The week before their arrival, I woke up early one morning to find an email from my dad.  He was letting me know when they are in town, he wanted to see lots of people.  This is just like my dad, he packs his time with lots of things to do, and lots of people to see!  His request was for us to host my moms side of the family at our house on Saturday (the ones that live in TX) for some BBQ, and then drive to Dallas on Sunday for brunch with his side of the family (again, the ones that live in TX).  Amazingly, we he accomplished all of these things, and even managed to work in a trip to his favorite store, Cabelas! Considering he had chemo 2 days before they left, I'd say he did pretty good! 

We love to entertain, so I was excited when my Friday night turned into cooking and getting ready for the company of 14 people!


My parents told me to go pick out some pretty flowers, their treat, to have at the house since this whole gathering was their idea.  We don't mind entertaining, and actually had been meaning to invite my cousins over anyway (Side note: Both cousins live in Flower Mound, have large houses, and beautiful pools.  It is hard to want to invite them to our small house, with no pool, when their houses are way more fun!  But they graciously come anyway, whenever we invite them and sing praises on our house when they do :) )  I never pass up an opportunity to buy fresh flowers though!  They make me happy and brighten up a space in just the right way!

Thanks mom and dad!  

I made all the sides, and my parents brought a pork butt that they smoked the night before they left.  

The main dining table - we had people eating everywhere!  
SP forgot to put the baked beans on his plate, but they were great!
Thanks for making them, mom!

For dessert I made my dad's favorite Lemon Icebox Pie.  And my mother-in-law made a yummy berry trifle!  

Guess I forgot to take a picture of the actual pie, whoops!

It was a late night (and by late, I mean 10!), but we thoroughly enjoyed visiting with everyone.  

On Sunday, I think I was the first person up.  When my parents are here, I usually always wake to the smell of their coffee brewing.  When I don't smell it, I know that means our dark, cozy, guest room has provided the perfect spot for a little extra r & r for them :)  

Around 11 we all headed to Dallas, and SP stayed behind so he could work in the yard some before having to go show a few houses.  We were joined by my dad's 2 cousins and 1 of his second cousins.  We ate at Woodlands American Grill.  It was a nice brunch, and I enjoyed hearing stories of my grandparents and their siblings.  

Crab Cake Eggs Benedict & bottomless mimosas!
Roby, my dad, Steven - cousins
My dad and his 2nd cousin, Randy

When we got back to Fort Worth, we sat around being lazy and then we took my dad to Cabelas.  He loves that store so much!  For dinner, we ordered take-out and watched the finale of Celebrity Apprentice.  Earlier in the day, my mom ran into Walgreens to pick up the competing ice cream flavors (that was the final challenge on the show!) so we ate that for dessert while watching the show!  

On Monday, they headed to Houston for their appointments on Tuesday.  Sean and I went to the Rangers game Monday night with his work crew.  We had all you can eat seats.  YUCK! is all I have to say!  There is only so many hot dogs and nachos one can eat!  We had a good time though.  The weather was humid but we are just glad we missed the rain because it was sure all around us that evening!

The sky

Tailgating

We were waaaaay up there!
See my head poking through?  Above the women in stripes.  No, SP isn't in the picture b/c he was on a BEER RUN!

No comments: