Pages

11.16.2012

First Attempt at Vinyasa...O.M.G.

Yesterday morning, I was in my Yin yoga class.  This is a class where you hold each pose for 4-5 minutes.  It's not easy and I often think the instructor has completely forgotten about us yogis stretched out in some pigeon like pose on our mats.  It takes a lot of willpower to not internally shout profanities at her for keeping us here!  

Pigeon pose.  Real comfy ://

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.  It is what it is, and I just try my best to mentally stay focused and concentrate on my inhale and exhale, rather than the fact that my knee cap just might pop out of place!

I have been going to yoga every morning at 9am (except Saturday and Sunday of course!).  I have done Gental yoga, Yin yoga, and Iyengar-Inspired yoga (not sure, something about really learning the poses in combination with breathing).

I have been lucky to get my same comfort zone spot in each class.  There is usually a much older man who practices right behind me.  We have talked a few times and he knows I am new to the practice.

Yesterday, after Yin, he asks if I'm going to be at Vinyasa tomorrow morning (i.e. Friday-today).  Let me preface this by saying Vinyasa is the practice that when talked about, people do one of those "ha! yea right!".  So needless to say, considering this is all so new to me, I've done the "ha, yea right!" about visiting this particular class.  This man convinced me to show up, saying that I will be fine and everyone goes at their own pace anyway.  And, I think he was secretly looking forward to someone else having to sit out of the head / hand stand portion of the class with him :)  So I went.  I think 10 minutes into it my arms were already shaking.  This is the move we did over and over and over and over....and over again!  For an hour and fifteen minutes!!



And this is supposed to be one fluid motion, each move comes with an inhale or exhale.  Ouch is all I have to say!  Obviously there were other poses involved, but this sun salutation was killer (and her favorite!)!!!

I survived.  And was thrilled when we were able to relax into Shavasana.  But it definitely took it out of me and I will probably have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, ha!

No comments: